Monday, October 7, 2013

Disability and Joint Dysfunction: Down But Not Out!

Have you heard this before " IT"S 90% NUTRITION AND 10% EXERCISE".
and the same goes for getting started to a beautiful healthy looking and feeling MSB (Magazine Sexy Body).

Many people don't believe it but it's true. You are not only what you eat but how you eat and how often you eat and then of course there is what you drink!

The argument I often encounter regarding this statement about nutrition goes something like this: "Let's face it it's not just about weight loss, it's about fitness. And fitness doesn't automatically occur just by getting thinner, you only appear to be fit because you're thin".

I agree with that to an extent, if you are anything like I was  (overweight by 50 pounds, disc problems, joint disease) you can't put the cart before the horse. There is no way someone with all these problems is going to be able to work out by themselves; let alone do the work outs like P90X or Insanity, and be able to stick with them. I was in a unique situation because of my background, so I was able to sort out my physical injuries as they arrived (from these strenuous programs) but I couldn't incorporate these programs into my everyday life due to the pain. Both the programs are awesome and if was otherwise healthy from a joint spine stand point I would have loved to continue doing them.

If you have similar issues I had where do you start? the answer is NUTRITION (energy intake)...

You may already know the many benefits to losing weight some are better blood glucose control, improved metabolism, decreased cholesterol, lower blood pressure. So when you start on my plan you will already be progressing on the inside and more than likely on outside as well.

I have had people tell me they must have lost a thousand pounds while dieting and then gained it all back. Diets mostly die (stats show 90% failure rate) studies show they are all equal in producing results if followed correctly but they tend to fail because people just following them. So the problem is usually with us and not just the diet. That's why you need a program which isn't so restrictive and can be easily implemented for the rest of your life. And when you combine that with the right type of exercise (when and if you are able) you get the results you want and can keep them for the rest of your life.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story Sarosh, and giving a lot of good tips. After the birth of my 2nd child, I was 60 lbs overweight. I managed to lose all of it over the course of 2 years. basically diet (including skipping dinner almost every night) and exercise. common sense approach - and it worked. fast forward 15-16 yrs and about 10 lbs came back on - and its a struggle to get that off! 10 lbs may not seem like a lot but I am petite and it makes a difference.

    I know they say when you are over 40 (I am almost 47) it becomes more difficult to lose or even maintain your weight. I have dropped a few lbs and then get excited but then the scale pops right back up to my set point.

    I eat pretty well and work out regularly - what can I do to finally get rid of these last 10 lbs?

    2nd issue - both of my thumbs joints where they connect to my hand are tight/sore - had all tests done - everything normal. I have to get cortisone injections every 5-6 months to relieve the pain. had to give up tennis, but on a daily basis you need that thumb joint to work well for even basic tasks. any suggestions on supplements or anything incl. acupuncture that would help?
    thanks for your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the questions. Let me tackle the first thing, the question of metabolism. Get a pedometer and see how many calories you burn on an average rest day. Switch to a low sugar low carb diet see samples (eat less than 50gm/d of carbs). Drink lots of water, Don't skip meals and do less cardio and more weight and in three months your BMR would have improved. Mine went from 1600-1800kcal to over 2600 in two years. eat five to times a day keeps your body working all day, will give you more energy and a better sleep cycle as well.

    ReplyDelete